Historic spots abound in Toledo Bend Lake Country

Historical Markers

History abounds in Toledo Bend Lake Country. See historical markers throughout the area. 

El Camino Real - The King's Highway Historical Marker

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish) - Along the San Antonio Trace

The Sabine River was the western boundary of the neutral strip from 1806 to 1820. The site was marked by the State of Louisiana and the Daughters of the American Revolution in1951.

Link 1 from the Historical Marker Database
Link 2 from the Historical Marker Database

Map

El Camino Real Historical Marker Toledo Bend Lake Country

Fort Jesup Historical Marker

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

Established in 1822 under Gen. Zachary Taylor as a major American fort on the southwestern frontier. It later became known as the Cradle of the Mexican War. The site is about 125 yards from the Historical Park and Old Fort Jesup.

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

Fort Jesup Historical Marker Toledo Bend Lake Country
   

Pendleton Crossing Historical Marker

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

Entrance to controversial Neutral Strip bounded by Sabine River West and Arroyo Hondo East. It was claimed by the U.S. after Louisiana Purchase, 1803, and by Spain as the ancient boundary of Mexico.

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

Pendleton Crossing Historical Marker

History of Toledo Bend Historical Marker

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

As a result of rapid industrial development and the changing demands of an evolving economy during the late 1940s, the people of the Sabine River area, both in Texas and Louisiana, realized a need to provide for the future of the area. The Sabine River Authority of Texas and then Louisiana were created to develop the waters of the Sabine River Basin.  Toledo Bend is the largest man-made body of water in the South, and was constructed for water supply, hydro-electric power generation, and recreation. 

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

History of Toledo Bend Historical Marker

Village of Pleasant Hill Historical Marker (Front)

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

The Village of Pleasant Hill was founded at this location just inside the DeSoto Parish in 1846. Pleasant Hill was a major road intersection with roads radiating to Mansfield, Natchitoches, Grand Ecore, Ft. Jessup, Many, Red River (Pleasant Hill Landing), and Sabine River. The village migrated to Sodus R.R. Station, Sabine Parish in the 1880's and 90's and was incorporated there in 1896. The largest battle of the Civil War west of the Mississippi was fought in and around the village on April 9, 1864.

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

Village of Pleasant Hill Historical Marker

Village of Pleasant Hill Historical Marker (Rear)

Many, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

The Village of Pleasant Hill was founded at this location just inside the DeSoto Parish in 1846. The back of the marker is inscribed - "This Historical Marker is dedicated to the approx. 40,000 Union and Confederate troops who fought in the Battle of Pleasant Hill."

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

Village of Pleasant Hill Rear of the historical marker

Battle of Pleasant Hill Historical Marker

Old Pleasant Hill, Louisiana (DeSoto Parish)

On this site, then the town of Pleasant Hill, on April 9th, 1864 Gen. Richard Taylor with 12,000 Confederates attacked the town, occupied behind log breastworks by Gen. Banks and 25,000 Federal troops. Through the afternoon the battle raged. That night Banks quietly evacuated the town leaving 400 of his wounded besides his dead. Taylor reported "This position was too important to be held by the enemy.

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

Pleasant Hill Battle Park

The Old Cistern Historical Marker

Old Pleasant Hill (DeSoto Parish)

Both Gen. Taylor's and Gen Banks' troops obtained drinking water from this cistern while each army occupied Pleasant Hill during the Red River Campaign in April 1864. The stage coach station stood a few feet north of this location. 

More information from the Historical Marker Database

Map

The Old Cistern Historical Marker

Village of Fisher Historical Marker

Fisher, Louisiana (Sabine Parish)

Village of Fisher. Named for Oliver Williams Fisher, the village was built 1899-1901 by Louisiana Long Leaf Lumber Company. It remained a company-owned sawmill town until it was sold to Boise Cascade Corporation in 1966.

More information from the National Register Database

Map

Village of FIsher Historic Marker

McNeely Hotel

690 San Antonio Avenue, Many, Louisiana

This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.

More information from the National Register Database

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 34' 5.942676", -93° 29' 5.645148"

McNeely Hotel on Register of Historic Places

Kansas City Southern Railway Depot

750 W. Georgia Ave., Many, Louisiana

This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.

More information from the National Register Database

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 33' 50.953212", -93° 29' 3.392952"

Kansas City Southern Railway

Kansas City Southern Depot

Spanish and Port Arthur Sts., Zwolle, Louisiana

This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.

More information from the National Register Database

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 37' 50.791008", -93° 38' 35.9016"

Kansas City Southern Railway Depot Zwolle

Early Spanish Missions Historical Marker

Catholic mission church built at Las Cabezas on Bayou Scie about 1795. Succeeded by Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe (Our Lady of Guadalupe). In 1858 referred to as St. Michael (San Miguel). Zwolle's St. Joseph's succeeds these.

This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.

More information from StoppingPoints.com

Latitude & Longitude:  31.617407, -93.641118

Early Spanish Missions Marker Toledo Bend Lake Country

St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Zwolle, LA 

Parish History
The history of the Catholic Church in Northwest Louisiana dates back to the year 1717, when the venerable Antonio Margil de Jesus, a Franciscan missionary, first visited what is now known as Sabine Parish. Fr. Margil came into contact with the Adaes Native Americans at Spanish Lake in Natchitoches Parish, and built what was likely the first church in the State of Louisiana. 

Church Information
St. Joseph Catholic Church was originally established during the administration of Bishop Penalver. The first small church or chapel was erected about one and one-half miles southeast of Bayou Scie (which means "little valley," Zwolle's original name). The second church on Bayou Scie, Las Cabezas (which means "the head"), was established about 1795. Records indicate another church or chapel in this vicinity was known as Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. These legacy churches have passed into history, and have been succeeded by our present-day St. Joseph Catholic in Zwolle.

 

St. Joseph Catholic Church Toledo Bend Lake Country

JM Miller & Brother Store

7886 LA 473 , Florien, LA, USA

This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.

More information from the National Register Database

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 18' 8.98596", -93° 32' 8.790396"

JM Miller & Brother Store Toledo Bend Lake Country

Sabine Normal and Industrial Institute Historical Marker

Saline Road off San Patricio Road (Sabine Parish)

For more information, read The Community of Saline

By Rolanda Teal

Edmund Belton: Founder of an African American Community in Sabine Parish

http://www.sfasu.edu/heritagecenter/3407.asp

Sabine Normal and Industrial Institute Marker Toledo Bend